Thursday 25 June 2009

Check out my big plans!

IMG_5691

On a recent post, Dana commented “is your house in a fairytale?! Everything is so gorgeous and picturesque.” Well, I’m going to show you the ugly truth – these are our garages: concrete, 60’s (and not the good 60’s), asbestos filled monstrosities! This is the approach to my house, forms a great first impression huh? The back of the garages looks like this:

garden

Also known as my back garden. Much better, but those garages make a poor backdrop.

Well, here’s the plan, we’re knocking them down and in their place we’re building a workshop. You see, me and ma are ceramicists of sorts (check out my website if you like), and by of sorts I mean I’ve been a bit lazy recently but that’s all set to change!

garden2

The new workshop will be a properly dedicated space, no more working on the kitchen floor or dining table, and hopefully this will give me the kicking I need to get my backside in gear.

Planning is through (after many, many months of wrangling), building regs are done, the architect has done a fantastic job and I just got the word from the builder that the start date is August.

When it’s finished, it will look like a smaller, squarer version of the house - we wanted it to look like a refurbished outbuilding, like it had always been there.

Phew, I don’t know whether to be scared of all the upheaval (and writing big cheques) or excited. It’s step one on the journey to self-employment. We’ll be running small ceramics and kiln-formed glass workshops from there, as well as making our own work…

No, I think I was right the first time, definitely scared.

I’ll keep you posted :)

Beccy

1 comment:

  1. haha. the funny thing is....those garages make me love your place even more! (though the reality is a little less fairy-tale-ish :) )
    thanks for posting more pics!
    And good luck with your self-employment venture. exciting.

    ReplyDelete